Thursday, October 9, 2014

Scarred But Not Broken




"How can I forget the hurt you've caused me, when I still have the scars to remind me of the pain?"
  
I wish they were bruises, because bruises fade. They heal, and you never have to see them again and eventually you forget about them and how they even came about. But scars....Scars are with you forever. They live inside or outside of you and often makes you dwell on the pain and serves as a constant reminder of what you endured, how you endured it and how much pain you felt at that very moment.  

For a very long time I felt I wasn't worth having anyone to love me unconditionally and treat me right. After he left me, I felt empty. I gave him all of me, and because I did that I had absolutely nothing left. I had a heart that wanted to love again, but was afraid of the same ol' cycle happening. I couldn't dare allow myself to be hurt so much again so I ran. I ran from anything good so that I wouldn't have the chance to come up on something bad. I made horrible choices. Slept with men just for the satisfaction of saying that on that specific night, I didn't have to sleep alone. Knowing that I had no real feelings for these guys, I allowed myself to be used for a meaningless 2 minute screw that ended up doing nothing more than making me feel like crap after it was all said and done. Not knowing that I was still, in a sense, "picking at my scar" and making it all 10 times worse. 

For every man I gave my body to I lost a piece of my soul. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't out there laying down with every Tom, Dick, and Harry, I just have a few instances that I'm surely not proud of and I don't mind sharing my shortcomings with yall. Ok...now that my disclaimer is out of the way I can get back to the story lol.......I was losing a piece of Bridge every time I layed down with a guy. My self worth was in question. I acted like the most confident girl, but deep down inside, I couldn't stand the person I had to face in the mirror each day. I was never good enough for myself but for some reason I got mad because I felt I wasn't good enough for a man that probably didn't care much about me anyways. I felt I was scarred and broken and waiting on someone else to pick up the pieces. Not knowing or really not believing that God had already equipped me with everything I needed to restore the negative feelings I had inside.

I wouldn't be keeping it real if I didn't tell yall that till this day I still struggle. Constantly asking myself questions like, "Why her and not me?", "Why does she get the relationship, while you just wanted sex from me". "Why did you let me put so much into "this" just to leave me in the end." Anyone will tell you that I am OBSESSED with love and anything that has to do with it. Love movies, love stories, love songs, I just LOVE LOVE. And the fact that I don't have someone to call my own, troubles me at times. 

The more I search for answers, the more distraught I become. Always wondering when I will be next. When it will be my turn. Not even fully focusing on the fact that I'm not fully "healed". Thankfully, I'm now beginning to realize that if I still hold on to that pain that I will never be 100% happy in any relationship that may come my way.  If I don't have SELF LOVE then I won't be able to fully accept anyone who offers their love to me. I realized that I have to change the way I look at this. So I charge myself and anyone else looking at their "scars" as a reminder of pain to start thinking of it as a reminder of how far you've come despite all that you have endured. If you guys have been following me you know my life hasn't been filled with cupcakes and roses all around these last 2 years. I've had a plethora of stormy days that in turn led me to my rainbows. I've come a long way and I desperately want to experience love again. And I'm sure you do too, but before WE do, WE have to be ready. 
 
I thought I'd share a snippet of some words of wisdom a friend shared with me today. 

After he challenged me to read the book of Ruth and I asked him a million and one questions lol this was his response....

"Ruth was willing to sacrifice and was even willing to pick up the leftover of grains without complaining". What are we willing to sacrifice or do while aligned in God's perfect will? Allow yourself to be in God's perfect will and watch him reward you."

After reading the book ok Ruth and seeking understanding from a mentor I came to this.....Ruth was loyal to Naomi, but more importantly she was faithful to God and in the end he sent Boaz to her. A nice fine man that was rich. So with all that being said, focus on you and your personal relationship with God. Know that you have scars, but you are not broken. Let them build you, and not break you. Encourage you and not bring you down. You keep all this in mind and God will send your Boaz to you. He may not be fine and Rich, but he will be the person that God specifically sculpted and created just for you. :) Your King will come. Just make sure you're in a position to recieve your blessing and not miss a beat. And baby just believe that as I minister to you, I minister to myself. 

With Love, 
Bridge💋

10 comments:

  1. I loved this! It was beautiful and well written. I am sincerely happy for you Bridgey and happy you're finally seeing your own light and seeing Him. Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you more my NaeBae! I was up all night with this one. Lol. Thanks for your constant support. :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent Job Cousin. Keep up the great work awesome read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said!!! I love the rawness and transparency in each sentence!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie! Thank you! My awesome Blogspiration! Lol. Thanks for you support and help. I love you!

      Delete
  4. Self evaluation is amazing, finding out your own personal truth and how you came to it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a Amazing Bridge.. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Self- reflection is the best type of lesson. Looking within is the best thing for us to do when you want to grow from within.

    ReplyDelete